Monday 4 May 2015

Meet Ben Da Poet: The Award Winning Poet and Comedian

For this week on JOB face of the week, I would be introducing to us a famous poet and comedian. He is Ben Da Poet. Below was the interview between him and JOB as he shares his success stories and advice for young and upcoming poets.

Meet Ben Da Poet: The Award Winning Poet and ComedianMeet Ben Da Poet: The Award Winning Poet and Comedian
JOB: What is your name?
Ben Da Poet: My name is Adaniken Omoleigho Omoboriowo Benjamin.

JOB: Can you please tell us a little about you, your educational background, where you hail from, your hobbies, likes and dislikes and your philosophy about life. Other things inclusive too.
Ben Da Poet: Well... I'm from a family of 5 (parent inclusive) first out of three children, attended Juli-mat international school Lagos for my primary education and then proceeded to Ogba Grammar School for secondary education later on to Keke High School to complete my secondary school education and then to university of ilorin to study performing arts. After which I came back to study English language again in the same University of Ilorin and also studying human strategy and communication skill in University of Ibadan. I am 6ft 2inches tall and I love beans and Garri a lot with cold water. I'm from Edo state. I'm an avid reader, a lover of God and a promoter of people and product as far as they are genuine. My hobbies are writing poems, putting smiles on people face, cooking and lending helping hands to the less privileged in the society. I like when people are not pretentious, i.e just be who you are and don't try be what you're not. In doing this, you attract destiny helpers. I dislike those who bully people, those who look down on people and those who remove charger from your 4% battery to charge their 85% battery. What else again self? 

JOB: How did u come about the name Ben Da Poet?
Ben Da Poet: I started out writing poems from the very first beginning and so one 7 years old girl in my church asked me, "uncle ben, those who write poems are called what?" "Poets." I answered. And she goes..."hmmmm, I will be calling you uncle ben the poet." so I laughed. When I got home that day, I had a re-think and it made a lot of sense to me. So, I sat down and fine-tuned the name. I had one thing in mind, I want my name to be distinct and exceptional unlike names like, 'josh the this, kamoru the that...' so after the whole fine-tuning I came up with 'Ben Da Poet' when comedy came in and being a Master of Ceremony, the name 'Ben Da Poet' had spread and gone a long way so it was difficult to change it so I left it like that and that was how it became a household name. so with this few points of mine, I hope I've been able to convince and not to confuse you that HUNTERS are better than NIGERIA POLICE.

JOB: Since when have you started poetry work?
Ben Da Poet: A long time ago... I actually started in primary school. I will write out Songs of Solomon on a piece of paper and add my own 'Ajasa' to it. In secondary school, I wrote more of love and romantic poems that I was awarded the best love letter writer. Funny enough I made money out of my love poems in secondary school. I write for guys who want to 'toast' babes and I charge them like 5naira or 10naira depending on the weight of the poem/letter. Then girls who offends their boyfriends too, I will write lovely apology poem/letter and I charge them. Writing poems took a new turn in 2003 when I entered into a contest in Lagos although I didn't win but it opened my eyes to a different dimension of poetry and so that year I can confidently say marked the re-awakening of poetry in my life and since then, it has not only gotten better but has also been recognized, applauded and appreciated.

JOB: Who is your role model and what inspires you to write?
Ben Da Poet: Wait first, role model in what? Poetry or Comedy? Oya! In poetry it's wole soyinka. He has a way with words. He gave me a pat on my back when he read one of my poems titled, '...but a WITCH.' in comedy, Holy Mallam is my role model. I get inspired by everyday happenings around me to write poems also, nature is one factor that affects my writing I get really inspired by nature and the little things people don't pay attention to sometimes inspires me to write too.

JOB: For you, would you say poetry is lucrative or just done for the fun or passion?
Ben Da Poet: Poetry is lucrative and it is also fun for those who are original and creative. I get paid to do poetry at some events. People invite me to come do poetry and not comedy at some events and I get paid especially when they see originality and creativity in your works. As for me, poetry is fun and passionate. #lobatan#

JOB: You are not only a poet but also a comedian how do you Manage the two together?
Ben Da Poet: I manage it very well in fact I don't use the word, 'manage' I blend them well. Now, the two became one. There's this distinguishing thing about my poems that when you read them, you will so laugh and still see the sense in it. I go up stage as a comedian and I start my introduction with a funny poem and people go..."Wow!" I wrote a poem titled 'face me I face you' and some people from UK called and commended my originality how I was able to describe such situation of the slum in a funny yet educative manner. 

JOB: You just won the best Mc/comedian in Kwara state how do you feel about that?
Ben Da Poet: I feel good tara ra ra ra ra ra... so good... so good... truth is, there are better comedians than me in this town, there are better Mc than me in this town and there are better poets than me. they might not have the platform to showcase what they've got...its just GRACE and I'm grateful to God.

JOB: Is there  any international or local recognition of your works and other notable achievements? 
Ben Da Poet: Where I wan start from? E plenty o. But will just mention some that are notable. 
1. My poem titled, '...but a witch' won the best poem in Lagos in the national poetry contest
2. My poem titled, "face me I face you." won an award as the best creative piece in Kwara all poets competition
3. My poem titled, "Ode to my future wife." was published in gem magazine and also hills magazine in UK with my permission.
4. My poem titled 'face me I face you' was appreciated by Wole Soyinka and Fela Durotoye.
5. My poem titled, 'Ode to my future wife' was used as curriculum for 100level students of the department of English Unilorin in 2012.
6. Won 'National association of communication professionals' best compere of the year in 2013
7. I've been the best Mc/comedian in Kwara state for four years now. 
8. Kwara state youth award for the most popular comedian/Mc.I don tire abeg!

JOB: What is  your advice for young poet and comedian?
Ben Da Poet: They should just be original... let their originality take a larger part of their work. You'll find this inner fulfillment when you know this is a product of your originality and when you see people using your work/material it gives you this joy of being able to orchestrate such good work/material. Another truth is, have a mentor. Someone who has passed through the hurdles, the fire and the storm. Above all, don't put money first... work on creativity, originality and delivery, then you would be relevant in the game. #lobatan.

I would like to appreciate Ben Da Poet for granting this interview and also for his permission to make the interview available to the public. Happy birthday in advance!

3 comments:

  1. adesewa ipinyomi5 May 2015 at 00:41

    We all love him and we won't stop! I personally love him from here to the moon and back. Ben da poet, humility exemplified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew he got so much degrees like this......kudos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love u Ben Da Poet keep on doing up thing

    ReplyDelete